UPDATE: The sponsor (YMT Vacations) has extended the offer to be redeemable for EITHER this year (December 30, 2011 – January 3, 2012) OR next year (December 29, 2012 – January 2, 2013), so you can take your pick and plan ahead!
It’s that time of year, when Passports With Purpose conducts the annual fundraiser organized by travel bloggers that raises money for deserving non-profits throughout the world. It’s a wonderful way to give back to the places we, as travelers, visit.
This year, Room to Read was chosen as the 2011 beneficiary of Passports with Purpose. The goal is to raise $80,000 to build two libraries in southern and eastern Zambia. Wow, that sounds ambitious, right? After last year’s target of $50,000 was surpassed by over 25% and an entire village was built in India in partnership with Friends of LAFTI, clearly this community of travel bloggers and PWP founders are not content to rest on any laurels. We love to travel, we love to blog about it, we love reading blogs, we love reading books, and we can’t imagine what our lives would be without the gift of reading. But perhaps above all, we love the idea of bringing the gift of reading to others.
In my last post, I shared the story of how I found the room to read on the floor of an orphanage in Calcutta, with children climbing all over my lap to stare at the words on the pages and listen to my voice. I realized right then and there just how powerful the gift of reading can be, and I hope that you will take just a moment to share in my reading with purpose.
Read it? Good. Now you’re set with inspiration to help make a difference, too. And that means, it’s time to talk prizes!
Here’s how it works:
Each participant blogger provides a prize and blogs about it. You can find the complete list of the prizes at Passports With Purpose website. Between now and December 16, 2011, for each $10 in donations that you make to Room to Read, you will be entered to win the prize (or prizes) of your choice.
Thanks to the generous folks at YMT Vacations, whom I’ve had the pleasure of working with over the past year, I am thrilled to present….
5-Day Tournament of Roses Parade and Los Angeles Tour
Tour Includes (for 2 people)
- 4 nights accommodations based on twin/double occupancy in a luxurious Los Angeles Airport area hotel.
- Rose Parade viewing from reserved Grand Stand seats, complimentary YMT seat cushion & an official Rose Parade program.
- Exclusive evening of behind the scenes float viewing at the Pasadena Rosemont Pavilion.
- Los Angeles City tour including Beverly Hills, Mann’s Chinese Theatre, & the home of the Academy Awards, the Kodak Theatre.
- The service of a professionally trained and accredited tour driver/guide who is licensed, bonded, and insured.
- Baggage handling for one 50-lb. bag p/p.
- Taxes and Fees of $149 per/person.
Tour Dates: December 30, 2011 – January 3, 2012 OR December 29, 2012 – January 2, 2013
Tour starts and ends in Los Angeles, California
* The Rose Parade only happens once a year, so this prize is only valid for either of the dates indicated: December 30, 2011 – January 3, 2012 OR December 29, 2012 through January 2, 2013
*Airfare to and from Los Angeles is NOT included, and is sole responsibility of winner.
So, what are you waiting for? Head on over to Passports With Purpose Donation Page to make your $10 donation via paypal and enter to win before midnight, December 16, 2011. Winners will be announced on December 23, 2011. Good luck!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.